Inspections, Codes, and Certificatons
Reducing electrical boxes and connections speeds up inspections and makes homes safer.
Electrical Codes and
Levven two-component switching products are covered under Energy Management Equipment (PAZX) in the UL White Book.
Two-component switching products by Levven, Lutron, and Leviton satisfy the requirements of the 2014 and 2017 NEC codes. The 2020 National Electrical Code clarifies acceptance of two-component controls by replacing the term “wall switch” with “listed wall-mounted control device” in Article 210.70.
210.70 Lighting Outlets Required
Lighting outlets shall be installed where specified in 210.70(A), (B), and (C).
(A) Dwelling Units.
In dwelling units, lighting outlets shall be installed in accordance with 210.70(A)(1), (A)(2), and (A)(3).
(1) Habitable Rooms.
At least one lighting outlet controlled by a listed wall-mounted control device shall be installed in every habitable room, kitchen, and bathroom. The wall-mounted control device shall be located near an entrance to the room on a wall.
Exception No. 1: In other than kitchens and bathrooms, one or more receptacles controlled by a listed wall-mounted control device shall be permitted in lieu of lighting outlets.
Exception No. 2: Lighting outlets shall be permitted to be controlled by occupancy sensors that are (1) in addition to listed wall-mounted control devices or (2) located at a customary wall switch location and equipped with a manual override that will allow the sensor to function as a wall switch.
(2) Additional Locations.
Additional lighting outlets shall be installed in accordance with the following:
(1) At least one lighting outlet controlled by a listed wall-mounted control device shall be installed in hallways, stairways, attached garages, and detached garages with electric power.
(2) For dwelling units, attached garages, and detached garages with electric power, at least one lighting outlet controlled by a listed wall-mounted control device shall be installed to provide illumination on the exterior side of outdoor entrances or exits with grade-level access. A vehicle door in a garage shall not be considered as an outdoor entrance or exit.
(3) Where one or more lighting outlet(s) are installed for interior stairways, there shall be a listed wall-mounted control device at each floor level and landing level that includes an entryway to control the lighting outlet(s) where the stairway between floor levels has six risers or more.
Exception to (A)(2)(1), (A)(2)(2), and (A)(2)(3): In hallways, in stairways, and at outdoor entrances, remote, central, or automatic control of lighting shall be permitted.
(4) Lighting outlets controlled in accordance with 210.70(A)(2)(3) shall not be controlled by use of listed wall-mounted control devices unless they provide the full range of dimming control at each location.
(B) Guest Rooms or Guest Suites.
In hotels, motels, or similar occupancies, guest rooms or guest suites shall have at least one lighting outlet controlled by a listed wall-mounted control device installed in every habitable room and bathroom.
Exception No. 1: In other than bathrooms and kitchens where provided, one or more receptacles controlled by a listed wall-mounted control device shall be permitted in lieu of lighting outlets.
Certifications and Approvals
STANDARDS FOR USA, ANSI / UL
Standard UL 60730-1, CAN/CSA-E60730-1
- Coin cell battery-operated switch transmitters are cULus listed (file E511262) under “ENERGY MANAGEMENT EQUIPMENT ACCESSORY”.
- Levven’s GS, PS, and PDK automatic electrical control products conform to this standard and have the cULus listed mark.
Standard UL 244A, Issued: 2003/04/30 Ed: 3 Rev: 2013/08/15 Solid-State Controls for Appliances
- Almost all “in junction box” competitive products are certified to this standard.
- This standard applies to Levven Controls
- The Levven Controls and Levven Controls Pro Controllers conform to this standard and have the cETLus listed mark.
Switch intentional radiator: Part 15.249, Band 902 – 928 MHz, FCC ID: 2ADH9-GSW
Controller unintentional radiator: Part 15.249, Band 902 – 928 MHz, FCC ID: 2ADH9-G2CF
Search transition.fcc.gov with Levven Controls grantee code 2ADH9 to review all FCC documents.
STANDARDS FOR CANADA, CAN/CSA
Standard CSA C22.2#14, Issued: 2013/03/01 Ed:12 Industrial Control Equipment
- This Standard applies to control and protective devices, and accessory devices, rated at not more than 1500 V, for starting, stopping, regulating, controlling, or protecting electric motors, generators, heating apparatus, or other equipment used to control an industrial process that is intended to be installed and used in non-hazardous locations in accordance with the rules of the Canadian Electrical Code, Part I.
- This standard applies to Levven Controls.
- The Levven Controls and Levven Controls Pro Controllers are certified to this standard and have an cETLus listed mark.
These devices meet Industry Canada’s procedural and specification requirements for certification.
Levven Controls and Levven Controls Pro switches IC ID: 12453A-GSW
Levven Controls and Levven Controls Pro controllers IC ID: 12453A-G2CF
Authorization to Mark
Levven is approved to use the NRTL and UL-Listed marks on our products.
Power Controller Products
Junction Box Fill Calculations
Require Additional Information?
Please use the contact form to get in touch with our engineering team.